Answers to 'A riddle selection'
1. You live in a one storey house made entirely of redwood. What colour are your stairs?
Answer - What stairs? It's a one storey house so there aren't any.
2. How many months have 28 days?
Answer - All of them have at least 28, so the answer is 12
3. How many 1cm slices can you cut from a loaf that's 25cm long?
Answer - One; because as soon as you cut off one slice the loaf isn't 25cm long any more.
4. What room in your house is unlikely to be haunted?
Answer - The living room
5. Divide 30 by half and add ten to get...?
Answer - 70 (because when you divide a number by 1/2 you actually double it).
6. If you feed me I’ll grow; I don’t breathe, but need air; I’m not alive but can move fast; water kills me. What am I? Answer - Fire
7. Initially a farmer has 17 sheep, he sells all but 8 of them, how many sheep does he still have.
Answer - 8, he's sold all the rest.
8. What has belonged to you for most of your life, but other people usually use more than you do?
Answer - your name
9. There are 45 apples in your basket. You take three apples out of the basket. How many apples do you have?
Answer - 45; you still have the basket of apples as well as the 3 you've taken out of it.
10. David's father has three sons: Snap, Crackle, and _____?
Answer - David; because if his father has three sons, and we are given the names of the other two, i.e. Snap & Crackle, David must be the third.
11. What has a head, a tail, is brown, but has no legs?
Answer - unless you are very cruel to small brown creatures the answer is a penny (or any other copper coin)
12. Name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?
Answer - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
13. A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with Sarah. The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that lasts a week. Before he leaves, he gives Sarah seven apples. Why?
Answer - Because 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'
14. What appears once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?
Answer - The letter m.
15. What is more use when it is broken than when it’s whole?
Answer - An Egg